Dr. Julien Vernet
Assistant Professor of History
The University of British Columbia
3333 University Way
Kelowna, British Columbia
Office: ART 240
Phone: (250) 807-9326
French Americas, United States
Chair Honours Program in History
- Ph.D., Syracuse University (2002)
- M.A., Queen’s University (1992)
- B.Ed., Queen’s University (1993)
- B.A., Hons. Queen’s University (1990)
2012/13 Academic Year Teaching
HIST 111 Modern United States History
Survey of the major economic, political, and social developments from the Civil War to the present.
HIST 327 American Colonial History, 1607-1763
Comparative study of the social, economic, and political characteristics of the 13 colonies as they changed from small European outposts to more mature societies.
HIST 328 The American Revolution and the Formation of the United States
Study of the revolutionary origins of the United States of America and the establishment of the American republic.
HIST/IGS 529 Directed Studies in Indigenous Studies
Directed Studies in Indigneous Studies - Indigenous and European Women in 19th Century British Columbia
Julien Vernet, Strangers on Their Native Soil, Opposition to United States’ Governance in Louisiana’s Orleans Territory, 1803-1809. University Pressof Mississippi, in-press (publication date-spring-summer 2013).
Julien Vernet, “Citizen Laussat and the St. Julien Case: Royalists and Revolutionaries in Early Nineteenth-Century Louisiana,” Louisiana History, Volume LI, No. 2, (2010), 195-214.
Julien Vernet, “A Community of Resistance: The Organization of Protest in New Orleans against the U.S. Territorial Administration, 1803-1805," French Colonial History, Vol. 11, (2010), 47-70.
Julien Vernet, “Petitions from Peripheries of Empire: Louisiana and Québec,” The American Review of Canadian Studies, Vol. 38, No. 4 (Winter 2008), 495-512.
Julien Vernet, “More than Symbolic: Pierre Clément de Laussat’s Municipal Council and French Louisianian Protest against American Territorial Government,” French Colonial History, 4 (2003), 133-143.
Honors and Awards
- UBC O Quick Start Research Grant, March 2008-March 2009
- UBC O Internal Research Grant, March 2006-March 2007
- OUC Research Grant 2005
- Letter of commendation for teaching, Cheney Hall State University of New York Cortland, 2002
- Syracuse University Summer Fellowship, 1999 Syracuse University Teaching Fellow, 1999-2000
- Syracuse University Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, 1999
- Syracuse University History Department Dissertation Research Grant, 1999
Last reviewed 4/18/2013 11:47:28 AM